Mexican Lifestyles

SETTING

Expat Living

SETTING

Columns

SETTING

My Retirement Brain in Mexico

Let me say first-off that in most respects, my retirement brain has been a loyal...

Ajijic fiestas roar into life

Folks in Ajijic are ready to set aside their normal daily routines for the town&...

Arts & Entertainment

Entertainment Guide - December 3, 2016

-1 DAYS AGO

Finzi Pasca

Italian acrobatic theatrical company formed in 2011 that develops artistic projects which broaden the “Theatre of the Caress” spectrum, a theatrical technique based on the invisible gesture and the state of lightness.  

Readmore

Entertainment Guide - November 25, 2016

6 DAYS AGO
Entertainment Guide - November 25, 2016

Juan Perro Trío

Experienced Spanish jazz band in concert. Comprised of Santiago Auserón (vocals), Joan Vinyals (guitar) and Gabriel Amargant (sax and clarinet).

Readmore

Rutter’s ‘Gloria’ at Auditorio

7 DAYS AGO
Rutter’s ‘Gloria’ at Auditorio

Los Cantantes del Lago will perform acclaimed British composer John Rutter’s “Gloria!” at the Auditorio de la Ribera Tuesday, December 6, 7 p.m. and Wednesday December 7, 4 p.m. 

Readmore

Ukulele Club members to hold happy sing-along at Restaurant Maria Isabel

7 DAYS AGO

The happy strummers from Club Ukulele de Laguna are tuning up to provide the rousing accompaniment to a selection of favorite holiday songs for the Third Annual Christmas Ukulele Singalong which is slated for Monday, December 5, 4 p.m.

Readmore

Ribera Arts Review - December 3, 2016

-1 DAYS AGO
Ribera Arts Review - December 3, 2016

Free Christmas glee 

Seats are going fast for the remaining free concerts offered by the brand new 17-voice Lake Chapala Chorale. Mark your calendar and arrive early to your chosen venue to be sure you don’t miss this special program of some of the best-loved Christmas music from the mid...

Readmore

Ribera Arts Review - November 25, 2016

6 DAYS AGO
Ribera Arts Review - November 25, 2016

Patron Saint activities

Cultural presentations coincide with Ajijic’s fiestas patronales (celebration of Saint Andres Apostol) this week in the pueblo’s main plaza, all beginning 8 p.m. daily. 

Readmore

At the Movies - November 19, 2016

14 DAYS AGO

Fantastic Beasts

The adventures of writer Newt Scamander in New York’s secret community of witches and wizards seventy years before Harry Potter reads his book in school. Director: David Yates.
Cast: Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Alison Sudol. Rated: PG-13. Time: 2:13.

Readmore

At the Movies - November 5, 2016

28 DAYS AGO

Genius

A chronicle of Max Perkins’s time as the book editor at Scribner, where he oversaw works by Thomas Wolfe, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald and others.

Readmore

Columns

The definitive guide to Guachimontones

1 HOUR AGO
The definitive guide to Guachimontones

Launching his new book, “A Guide to West Mexico’s Guachimontones and Surrounding Area, The Lost Civilization of Teuchitlán,” at Guadalajara’s Paleontology Museum this week, Reporter columnist and cave explorer John Pint described his initial encounter with the late arc...

Readmore

Guadalajara ultra runner accepts Triple Volcano Challenge

7 DAYS AGO
Guadalajara ultra runner accepts Triple Volcano Challenge

One of the many geographical benefits of living in Guadalajara is its proximity to volcanoes. There are few towns in the world where you could visit three of the principle types of volcanic landforms in just one day. Several years ago I suggested that some athlete ought to climb el Cerro de Mazatepe...

Readmore

Better, more intelligent web searching

28 DAYS AGO

As this column goes to press the sordid quadrennial political circus north of the border is thankfully coming to a close. 

Readmore

HP’s sneaky ploy to protect its overpriced ink cartridges

1 MONTHS AGO

Way back in the 1960s when I started helping out around my dad’s camera shop I quickly learned what it was like to deal with people who had been ripped off elsewhere. 

Readmore

Is this a life-changing moment for America’s ‘Dreamers’

13 DAYS AGO

Only U.S. citizens devoid of all empathy could fail to be concerned for the plight of the “Dreamers” – young immigrants whose futures are up in the air following the result of the presidential election.

Readmore

VIEWPOINT: Presidential debates are must-see TV

2 MONTHS AGO

A record television audience could tune in for the first of the three debates between the U.S. presidential candidates on Monday, September 26. 

Readmore

A midwesterner moves to Mexico - So Long, Farewell ...

4 MONTHS AGO

I had planned on writing a nice, lengthy, last column worthy of the place I’ve had the pleasure of living in for the past two years.

Readmore

A midwesterner moves to Mexico - Packing Up

4 MONTHS AGO

The wool coat looks worse for the non-wear. It is wrinkled from being unworn and crammed in the back of a closet for two years; dotted with dust and dog hair from a dog that departed the family a year ago; in need of a lint brush that can’t be found in the pile of things to be thrown away, don...

Readmore

13 DAYS AGO

Folks in Ajijic are ready to set aside their normal daily routines for the town’s annual salute to patron saint San Andrés Apostol. The boisterous festivities get underway Monday, November 21, rolling on straight through to the end of the month.  

Readmore

Hoodwinked

28 DAYS AGO

A heated session of the Chapala city council was underway when I bailed out of the room to answer my cellphone.

Readmore

-1 DAYS AGO

Let me say first-off that in most respects, my retirement brain has been a loyal and reliable servant, at least when it comes to my personal safety going up and down stairs after too many margaritas, or trying to convert grams to ounces when preparing margaritas. Or, even just remembering where I le...

Readmore

The Peso’s Pathos – Currency Economics

7 DAYS AGO
The Peso’s Pathos – Currency Economics

For some emigres here at Lakeside, the recent peso decline has turned to a worry about a future foraging for food and ferreting out a secret home in someone’s tool shed, and taking placebos for medical conditions, seeing as they do only slightly worse than their regular meds and are much cheap...

Readmore

Expat Living

Weekly ‘eco-markets’ are brainchild of young TapatíaWeekly ‘eco-markets’ are brainchild of young Tapatía

7 DAYS AGO
Weekly ‘eco-markets’ are brainchild of young TapatíaWeekly ‘eco-markets’ are brainchild of young Tapatía

On a Tuesday afternoon at a cafe outside a shopping center at Chapultepec and Mexicaltzingo in Guadalajara, Sofia Amezcua is interviewing a producer of hand-knitted leg warmers.

Readmore

Thanksgiving traditions alive & well

7 DAYS AGO
Thanksgiving traditions alive & well

Not a scrap of turkey went to waste as more than 100 diners wolfed down a traditional Thanksgiving  meal at the American Society (Amsoc) Thursday, November 24. 

Readmore

City Living - December 2, 2016

1 HOUR AGO
City Living - December 2, 2016

Sunday Croqueton to help strays

Dog lovers should head over to the Parque Italia in Colonia Providencia along with their pooch/es Sunday, December 4 for the annual Croqueton Navideño.  

One of the main aims of the event, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., is to receive donations of dry food (croq...

Readmore

City Living - November 5, 2016

28 DAYS AGO
City Living - November 5, 2016

Students present ‘Wizard of Oz’

The Fine Arts & Technology Department of the American School Foundation of Guadalajara presents four performances of the musical “The Wizard of Oz” from November 4 to 6. 

More than 120 students, from elementary to high school, will p...

Readmore

LLT tackles Neil Simon comedy

-1 DAYS AGO
LLT tackles Neil Simon comedy

Audiences just seem to love Neil Simon! Lakeside Little Theatre’s “Chapter Two” is a romantic comedy and one that many people here can relate to.

Readmore

Weekly Worship - December 3, 2016

-1 DAYS AGO

HU Chant

Chanting HU, an ancient name for the Divine while in a contemplative state, is a simple technique to open your heart to greater happiness, love, inner peace and understanding. 

Readmore

Laguna Chapalac - December 3, 2016

-1 DAYS AGO
Laguna Chapalac - December 3, 2016

Open Circle

San Juan Cosala Children’s Choir and Orchestra will give a performance at Open Circle Sunday, December 4, 10:30 a.m. in the garden of the Lake Chapala Society (LCS).

Readmore

Laguna Chapalac - November 25, 2016

7 DAYS AGO
Laguna Chapalac - November 25, 2016

Eradicating Polio

At its seventh annual End Polio dinner October 28, the Rotary Club of Ajijic raised 109,000 pesos for the Rotary Foundation’s End Polio program.

Readmore

PV vets mark their day with service, golf, evening buffet

28 DAYS AGO

American Legion Post 14 and the Puerto Vallarta Navy League invite U.S. Canadian and Mexican citizens to celebrate Remembrance Day and Veterans Day at 10 a.m. on Friday, November 11 at Steve’s Sports Bar (Post 14 headquarters) for free coffee and pastries (breakfast can be purchased).

Readmore

Holiday fun in Puerto Vallarta

4 MONTHS AGO
Holiday fun in Puerto Vallarta

Puerto Vallarta American Legion Post 14 Commander Dennis Rike and his wife Dinia on the Vallarta Adventures special Canada Day/July 4th cruise across Banderas Bay to Las Caletas on July 2.

Readmore

North Banderas Beat - December 3, 2016

-1 DAYS AGO
North Banderas Beat - December 3, 2016

Welcome back party

The Party With A Purpose (PWAP) not only gives folks a chance to get together with friends they have not seen since spring and meet newcomers, but also to answer the question: “How can I improve the quality of life while I’m here enjoying my winter stay?”

Readmore

North Banderas Beat - November 5, 2016

28 DAYS AGO
North Banderas Beat - November 5, 2016

Children’s therapy center

Pasitos de Luz is a non-profit organization that serves the needs of disabled children and their low-income families.

Readmore

La Manzanilla Memo - December 3, 2016

-1 DAYS AGO
La Manzanilla Memo - December 3, 2016

La Manzanilla doesn’t need Black Friday, Cyber Monday or Buen Fin. We have the Tianguis! They’re back on our main plaza each Friday morning, and are definitely worth a walk through.

Readmore

La Manzanilla Memo - November 19, 2016

14 DAYS AGO
La Manzanilla Memo - November 19, 2016

It’s a mystery! Something is running midnight raids on my refrigerator. I say “something” because I figure a human would at least have the courtesy to shut the fridge door, what with the cost of electricity.  

It looked like a raccoon job to me. Except I haven’t seen Ro...

Readmore

Barra de Navidad & Melaque Journal - November 25, 2016

6 DAYS AGO
Barra de Navidad & Melaque Journal - November 25, 2016

Fish or cut bait

“Fisher people” are coming back this week without tans and with stories of heavier oceans due to the rain and unsettled weather.

Readmore

North Banderas Beat - November 19, 2016

14 DAYS AGO
North Banderas Beat - November 19, 2016

Memorial service

A memorial service for Landon White Hollander will take place Sunday, November 20 at Restaurante Frascati in the La Cruz Marina, from 3 to 5 p.m.  Everyone is welcome to attend, his wife says.  There will be a no-host bar and finger foods will be served.

Readmore

Puerto Vallarta Bulletin - November 25, 2016

6 DAYS AGO
Puerto Vallarta Bulletin - November 25, 2016

Oceanside glamour

The beaches of Banderas Bay are a great place to see and be seen and now there is a wonderful way to spice up your appearance. 

Readmore

Puerto Vallarta Bulletin - November 12, 2016

20 DAYS AGO
Puerto Vallarta Bulletin - November 12, 2016

Green thumbs

The Puerto Vallarta Garden Club’s membership kick off party and first fund-raiser of the season takes place at The Jazz Foundation, Allende 116 at the Malecon. Get ready to enjoy some great music on Thursday, November 17, 5-7 p.m. There will be complimentary appetizers and a cash...

Readmore

Mexican Lifestyles

Looking Back: A review of November news from the last 50 years

7 DAYS AGO

In this monthly series, we republish a few of the headlines from our November editions 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 years ago.

Readmore

Taxing maters: The Common Reporting System: Canada’s FACTA

28 DAYS AGO

By now, most expats have heard of FATCA, the 2010 U.S. law that turned the world into a financial reporter to the Treasury.

Readmore

Surf’s up in Michoacán

5 MONTHS AGO
Surf’s up in Michoacán

In the depths of New York’s bitterly cold winter, a glimmer of hope appeared on the horizon: two friends would be available for a two-week surf trip in May. 

Readmore

A winning day out: Swimming to a hidden beach

1 YEAR AGO
A winning day out: Swimming to a hidden beach

It’s a glorious feeling as you swim into the beautiful secluded beach of the Marieta Islands (Islas Marietas). As you pass under a rocky arch in the island there is a moment when the tide turns in your favor and washes you gently towards the sandy shoreline. It is as if the island has deemed y...

Readmore

La Mesa: creative flair, fare and atmosphere

-1 DAYS AGO
La Mesa: creative flair, fare and atmosphere

La Mesa’s interior is an intimate space, bright and schmoozy, with service on thick oak tables covered in old-fashioned parchment. There’s an unusual vase per person loaded with a half-dozen each of forks, knives and spoons, a curiosity, but a practical one, especially if, like me, you d...

Readmore

‘Grilled whatever’ is a hit at new Japanese restaurant

7 DAYS AGO
‘Grilled whatever’ is a hit at new Japanese restaurant

The first time I tried to find Tanuki, open only two months, there was no visible address or sign, just a door on Calle Argentina opening into what appeared to be a small restaurant with blonde wood decor.

Readmore

New tome uncovers obscure details about amazing Mexico

7 DAYS AGO
New tome uncovers obscure details about amazing Mexico

“Mexican Kaleidoscope,” the latest book by Tony Burton, takes readers on a delightful romp through Mexican history and culture, spanning 10,000 years from the Pre-Hispanic era to modern times. 

Readmore

Humanizing Abraham Lincoln

2 MONTHS AGO
Humanizing Abraham Lincoln

“Abraham Lincoln and Mexico” by Michael Hogan. Fondo Editorial Universitario. (Guadalajara, 2016), 322 pp.

Reviewed by A.S. Carbonell, Tel Aviv University

Readmore

Alzheimer’s Disease set to double by 2030

2 MONTHS AGO

World Alzheimer’s Day was marked on Wednesday, September 21 but Genaro Gabriel Ortiz, president of the Asociación Jalisciense de Alzheimer, said there was no positive news to celebrate regarding the disease.

Readmore

Laughter: medicine kids actually enjoy

7 MONTHS AGO
Laughter: medicine kids actually enjoy

More than 600 doctors in some 24 cities in the country are registered with Risaterapia (laughter therapy) A.C., a group that brings doses of medicine that smiling children take willingly.

Readmore

News

Bikers to celebrate their ‘day’

1 HOUR AGO
Bikers to celebrate their ‘day’

Hundreds of bikers and their rigs will feature in a parade marking the Day of the Motorcyclist, Sunday, December 4, beginning 3:30 p.m. at the intersection of Avenida Maestros and Federalismo. 

Readmore

New Canadian envoy in Guadalajara enjoying Latin American ‘homecoming’

7 DAYS AGO
New Canadian envoy in Guadalajara  enjoying Latin American ‘homecoming’

Stéphane Charbonneau’s appointment as the new consul and senior trade commissioner at the Canadian Consulate in Guadalajara is his seventh foreign posting of a 29-year diplomatic career.

Readmore

Eat pancakes for a great cause

-1 DAYS AGO

The non-profit Lakeside Assistance Group (LAG), which has successfully imported millions of dollars’ worth of firefighting and emergency response equipment from Canada, is holding its semiannual pancake breakfast Saturday, December 10, 9 a.m. to noon at the Tobolandia Water Park. 

Readmore

Chapala plans Disability Day festival

-1 DAYS AGO

The Chapala government is sponsoring a belated celebration of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, with activities scheduled Saturday, December 10 rather than the usual worldwide commemoration date of December 3.

Readmore

DIF provides mobility aid

28 DAYS AGO
DIF provides mobility aid

The Chapala’s Family Development Agency (DIF) hosted the November 1 distribution of new wheelchairs to handicapped persons from ten municipalities in the region.

Readmore

Tlajomulco mayor explodes after arrested thief is released for ninth time

28 DAYS AGO
Tlajomulco mayor explodes after arrested thief is released for ninth time

The mayor of Tlajomulco has spoken out about the failings of the new criminal justice system after a judge last week released a 19-year-old man detained on suspicion of robbery for the ninth time.

Readmore

Air pollution concerns surge as cold bites

1 HOUR AGO

Fears are growing that a colder winter this year will provoke a spike in air contamination and thermal inversions in the Guadalajara metropolitan area.

Readmore

2017 will be significant year for Canada

7 DAYS AGO

2017 marks the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation, as well as the 100th anniversary of the Mexican Constitution. 

Readmore

Puerto Vallarta bypass now a priority

14 DAYS AGO

Faced by the possibility of further federal budget reductions in 2017, Jalisco legislators are urging Governor Aristoteles Sandoval to give his commitment to building a “macrolibramiento” (ring road or bypass) around Puerto Vallarta.

Readmore

Hidden Beach tour guides get certified

1 MONTHS AGO

The Commission for Naturally Protected Areas (Conamp) has carried out workshops and accredited 173 guides who will be the only ones allowed to take tourists to the Playa del Amor (Hidden Beach) on the Marietta Islands off the Nayarit coast.

Readmore

Uncertainty will bruise Mexican currency, economy as Trump awaits coronation

20 DAYS AGO
Uncertainty will bruise Mexican currency, economy as Trump awaits coronation

It’s a sad truth that when Mexico chooses a leader, few Americans could care less which party they belong to, what political viewpoints they represent or how this might impact their lives.

Readmore

Mexico unnerved by shock Trump victory

20 DAYS AGO
Mexico unnerved by shock Trump victory

Just prior to the U.S. presidential election, Agustín Carstens, the respected governor of Mexico’s central bank, had warned that victory for Donald Trump would be akin to a “hurricane” for this country’s economy. 

Readmore

Interest rates rise for fourth time this year

13 DAYS AGO

With the peso continuing to bleed amid the fallout from the U.S. presidential election result, the Banco de Mexico, Mexico’s Central Bank, Thursday raised its base interest rate by half a point to 5.25 percent – the fourth rate hike this year.

Readmore

Citigroup renames Banamex

1 MONTHS AGO
Citigroup renames Banamex

Mexican bank Banamex this week rebranded itself as Citibanamex, reflecting the name of its major stakeholder, Citigroup.

Readmore

Obituaries - November 25, 2016

7 DAYS AGO
Obituaries - November 25, 2016

Marilyn Christopher

Readmore

Obituaries – November 19, 2016

13 DAYS AGO
Obituaries – November 19, 2016

Landon White Hollander

Landon White Hollander, the editor of the Inside La Cruz online magazine and a longtime year-round resident of La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, died as a result of a violent robbery in his home on September 18. He was 64 years old.

In 1983 Hollander married Connie Flores, ...

Readmore

Will Mexico’s NFL fans boo Star Spangled Banner?

13 DAYS AGO
Will Mexico’s NFL fans boo Star Spangled Banner?

NFL Monday Night Football moves south of the border on November 21 for the first time in 11 years.

Readmore

Kenyans dominate Guadalajara marathon

20 DAYS AGO
Kenyans dominate Guadalajara marathon

Athletes from long-distance running kings Kenya once again reigned supreme in the Guadalajara marathon, which unfolded on a chilly Sunday morning across 26 miles of city avenues and streets.

Readmore

Leaked emails say US soldiers are operating in Mexico

U.S. special forces are secretly operating in Mexico, while the U.S. government is “allowing” the powerful Sinaloa Cartel to traffic drugs across the border, according to documents released by WikiLeaks this month.

Since February the controversial whistle-blowing organization has been publishing “The Global Intelligence Files” – over five million emails leaked from Stratfor, a Texas-based global intelligence company, which date from July 2004 to December 2011.

“U.S. special operations forces are currently in Mexico. Small-scale joint ops with Mexico’s [special forces],” wrote “US714,” a U.S. law enforcement officer in charge of border investigations, to Stratfor staff in an email from June 2011 released on Sunday.

This was corroborated by a Mexican diplomat referred to as “MX1,” who told Stratfor “I can confirm that there is Marine presence, but I don’t know if it is MFR [Marine Force Recon – the U.S. Marine Corps’ special operations unit].”

“Operational coordination and indeed joint exercises have been conducted, and there are more in the planning stages,” said MX1. “We do indeed have US military presence in Mexico as part of the MI [Merida Initiative] coordination office (even though they are sometimes under official cover as DOS [Department of State], etc…) There are advisors and intelligence operatives that work on the tactical level with their Mexican counterparts.”

Under the Merida Initiative, the United States has been providing Mexico with funds, equipment, training and intelligence in order to help fight drug trafficking. But there are officially no U.S. troops operating south of the border, for this would represent a violation of Mexico’s sovereignty.

“Mexican public opinion would be outraged if there were U.S. soldiers engaged in a direct operational role in Mexico,” said MX1.

“I can’t confirm that there are independent U.S. operations in Mexico of any sort,” he added, but “the repercussions on cooperation from a black op that we are not aware of would be immense, even if the [Mexican] government didn’t care.”

Breaking the story on Monday, NarcoNews.com revealed that another of the leaked emails identifies MX1 as Fernando de la Mora Salcedo, a former member of the Mexican Consulate staff in El Paso, Texas and now a consul in Phoenix, Arizona.

The Stratfor emails were passed on to WikiLeaks by the hacking group Anonymous. Stratfor condemned this “deplorable breach of privacy” in a statement earlier this year.

“Some of the emails may be forged or altered to include inaccuracies; some may be authentic,” stated the Stratfor press release. “We will not validate either. Nor will we explain the thinking that went into them. Having had our property stolen, we will not be victimized twice by submitting to questioning about them.”

In another email from June 2010, MX1 suggested that the U.S. and Mexican “governments will allow controlled drug trades,” alleging that the “the major routes and methods for bulk shipping into the US have already been negotiated with U.S. authorities,” and that large shipments of drugs belonging to the Sinaloa Cartel “are OK with the Americans.”

Run by billionaire drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, the Sinaloa Cartel is one of Mexico’s most powerful drug-trafficking organizations.

De la Mora’s comments appear to back up the legal defense of a high-ranking member of the Sinaloa Cartel soon to go on trial in Chicago for drug trafficking.

Vicente Jesus Zambada Niebla was arrested in March 2009, just hours after meeting with U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents in a Mexico City hotel. In pre-trial proceedings earlier this year he claimed immunity under a deal allegedly struck between the U.S. government and the Sinaloa Cartel.

In exchange for information on rival organizations, Zambada said he and the cartel leadership were given “carte blanche to continue to smuggle tons of illicit drugs into Chicago and the rest of the United States” between 2004 and 2009.

As part of the arrangement, he also claimed the Sinaloa Cartel received weapons through the “Fast and Furious,” a botched operation in which the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) illegally sold 2,000 firearms to Mexican gangs, with the purported aim of tracing the weapons and then prosecuting the criminals.

One of the highest ranking Mexican drug traffickers to ever go on trial in the United States, Zambada’s case is due to begin in October.

WikiLeaks made headlines worldwide this week due to the ongoing controversy surrounding the organization’s founder Julian Assange.

Wanted in Sweden for questioning over two allegations of sexual assault, Assange has taken refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy in London. Assange has offered to be questioned within the embassy but refuses to return to Sweden for fear he will be extradited to the United States.

Ecuador offered Assange political asylum, but last week the British government provoked a major diplomatic row by threatening to enter the embassy and arrest Assange, an action that would represent a clear violation of international law.

If extradited, Assange fears he would face similar treatment to Bradley Manning, a U.S. Army whistleblower who passed thousands of documents to WikiLeaks. Bradley has been imprisoned by the U.S. government for over two years (mostly in solitary confinement) without trial.

Earlier this year the Stratfor leaks revealed a grand jury in Virginia has already issued a secret sealed indictment against Assange for espionage, while prominent U.S. politicians have even called for him to be executed.

No Comments Available

• Latest Letter

• Recently Added

News about Mexico