Guadalajara Reporter

Saturday
Jan 26th
Text size
Home Sports Another Tapatio diving triumph

Another Tapatio diving triumph

Mexico’s success in the diving at the London 2012 Olympic Games continued on Sunday, with Guadalajara-born Laura Sanchez winning a bronze medal.

With 362.4 points, Sanchez finished behind China’s Minxia Wu and Zi He in the women’s individual three-meter springboard diving. Wu and He scored 414 and 379.2 points respectively.

A surprise medalist, Sanchez was not one of the favorites to reach the podium. She succeeded by the narrowest of margins, beating fourth-placed Italian diver Tania Cagnotto by just 0.02 points.

“What joy and pride to see Laura Sanchez on the podium and receiving a bronze medal. Once again, congratulations. Good for Mexico!” President Felipe Calderon posted on Twitter.

Sanchez, 26, also won two gold medals at at last year’s Pan American Games in her native Guadalajara.

“This medal feels glorious, I needed one at an Olympic Games and finally got it. It’s been years and years of work,” Sanchez said. “My whole body was trembling before diving and I was nervous and happy at the same time that I was in an Olympic final at my third games. I enjoyed each dive and every moment.”

Sanchez dedicated her medal to her husband and trainer, Francisco Rueda. Their relationship is a controversial one, with Sanchez’s parents having accused Rueda, now 53, of sexually abusing their daughter eight years ago.

Sanchez and Rueda denied the allegations and married in 2008. Sanchez has not spoken to her mother since 2004 and traveled to London without the support of her family.

Mexico now has three silver medals and two bronze in total. In Beijing 2008, Mexico finished with just three medals, but this included two golds and one bronze.

Add comment

The views and opinions expressed in the comment section are NOT endorsed by the Guadalajara Reporter.

Refresh

RCHUB rc news information guides helicopter planes cars Electronics Accessories - Free Shippping